Wednesday 17 December 2014

Weird Cravings Of Pregnant Ladies



Talk of times when ordinary foods turn out to be a delicious delicacy. I have always laughed at how certain foods begin to taste differently. Sometimes I am tempted to say that maybe its a food that tasted bad still the thrilling demand harbors the need anyway.

Some pregnant ladies don’t know how to differentiate between appetite and craving. Craving is when you take small amounts of a certain food so as to fill in for the emotional need of taste. Appetite is when you expect to taste the whole dish with the hidden gluttonic agenda of filling up so that you don’t take an established meal e.g. supper or lunch. That is my definition so if you have any definition, keep it to yourself.

As I am typing this post, my pregnant girlfriend has started thinking of devouring the huge bar soap I bought yesterday. Her embryo (my kid to be) has certainly developed an appetite for laundry soaps. I call it a washed up appetite. Maybe our kid will grow up to act in bar soap adverts. I just pray that the embryo doesn’t push my sweetheart into licking powder soap instead of glucose. The amazing thing is that she now treasures soaps so much that they have a shelf in our fridge. The fruits now resume their new county of soap dish. It is very sad to find a ripe mango enjoying the breeze next to your bathing cloth with sap dripping next to the floor. Its like the mango is weeping for not being eaten.

My neighbors wife had an appetite of sniffing hair. She would sniff her husband's hair all night. When she gave birth earlier than expected ( at 8 months ), it was clear that the embryo had a craving for hair and it had developed a taste for its father's dreadlocks.

When I was in class eight, I overheard my father narrating to his friend Baba Muchiri how my mother used to eat the orbituary leaf of the daily newspaper. My father feared that this would superstitiously mean that the embryo may die and get a "Gone Too Soon" title orbituated in one of the local dailies. This happened in the third semester of my mother's conception of me. Fortunately I was born with a dead sense of anti-humor. I also overheard how during the first semester, my mother went through a three month session of eating lemons like oranges. Maybe that explains why sometimes I am bitter and skeptical about life.

One Friday evening, myself and a good friend called Edwin were drinking some coffee after a long day of reading in campus. While we were drenching our bowels with caffeine, Edwin told me how his elder brother's wife had a training craving when pregnant. She used to lick the train's track after it had passed their neighborhood. She would then smell and enjoy the 'aroma' produced by the iron rail tracks. I kept wondering, what if it was an electric train passing by the neighborhood.

Some ladies love eating stones then when they give birth, the keep wondering why they have given birth to children who don’t smile at anything but instead posses the perfect example of a stony face. Who knows, maybe famous wrestler 'The Rock's' mother had also eaten stones while pregnant of him. Maybe as she ate the rocks, she would then smell the rocks aroma in her throat and say it loud,'If You Smeeeeeeeeeel'. Okay, lets continue.

Some ladies eat soil especially when rain drizzles on it and leaves a sweet smell. Hii ndio hufanya mtoto akizaliwa anaongea matope. This makes a kid to speak speak like mud when grown up.

Ladies dont love it when men play computer games. When Nic's wife was expectant, she would force herself on the appetite of breaking and eating computer game pads so that Nic would stop playing FIFA and concentrate on spending time with her. When Nic touched the phone to text, she would break the phone and eat it just to get Nic's full attention and when Nic got bored and wanted to leave the house, she would spill tomato sauce on the clothes Nic wore so that she blamed the appetite just so that Nic doesn’t leave her alone in the house. I just wonder if Nic would threaten to leave the house naked. Maybe he would have been minced meated by the wife.

My mother once told me that she had a craving of eating samosas made of maize seed stuffings and drinking the delicacy with a cup of tea that has salt instead of sugar. Her's was very interesting as she told me that during those times, the smell of onions would make her laugh. As she laughed, the kid in her belly would roll over. Maybe the kid was a comedian already in the womb. Rehearsing near fallopian hall and performing at the uterus arena and making her mother laugh instead of producing tears.

So what are some of the cravings you have ever heard of ?

[ B.O.B A Whoof Deh, Dont Tell My Mum I Said The Above, (c) December 2014 ]

No comments:

Post a Comment